Sunday, November 1, 2009

Almost There

As October has come & flew by, I realize how I am looking forward to the new year coming ahead. Not sure what really has me excited about it. Other than the fact my stay last year in Kugluktuk was such a wash out and I truly don't even like to speak about it because it sucked the big one big time, or maybe the fact it's just a change of the date, 2010. Very futuristic. Or possibly the fact that it marks my coming 2nd year anniversary being with my fiancee, Melissa. Could be there may be be great things in store for us. I am unsure what it is exactly, but it always feels the same, like washing your hands clean of a dirty piece of fruit you been handling. Or possibly this is what it feels like to finish a book. I have limited experience in that department.

I want to send a friendly hello to a fellow blogger on here who not only reads my blog, but I had the opportunity last night at a Halloween party,
(not the kid in this picture lol. This was a friend's little boy who joined us in this picture)
to meet with him by chance. Since his identity remained a mystery last night, as his entrance was one to talk about for a while here in Rankin Inlet, I will keep the shroud going with him and just say, "Hello". He knows who he is. Did that mask ever come off last night?



Rankin still awaits it's first snow blast. A storm. A white out. Temperatures have dramatically fallen as we are losing 6 minutes of light a day, now with the clocks gone back, it's an hour and 6 minutes. By 4pm, it's dark. Sun rises at 7:44. I have started to keep a personal track record of this daily happening in this part of the hemisphere. I have already broken out the S.A.D(Seasonal Affective Disorder)lighting and the vitamin D. The winter blues, can really take it's toll on you if not well prepared.

We had a flea market sale in town yesterday and it was very reminiscent to those back home in Toronto. Shoulder to shoulder traffic inside the place making it seem like your battling a raging river going against it's currents in the opposite direction. I missed a great opportunity to purchase a real Pana. This is a men's traditional snow carving knife. It's basically like a mini machete. In Inuit mythology, Pana was the god who cared for souls in the underworld (Adlivun) before they were reincarnated. Pana means 'snow knife' in Inuktitut. The picture below is of a Pana.




I am awaiting my grocery order to get in this Wednesday as I will be starting my weight loss experience for those of you that are following that aspect of my blog knows, I was to begin today. I need the right foods to get here first :) So stay tuned.

No comments: