Monday, February 8, 2010

The Journey

Something I have been meaning to blog about ever since I began blogging was the road trip my fiancee, Melissa, and I took this past summer in 2009. It began with leaving Kugluktuk, NU. I had left Kug before Melissa did and I had to wait for her to arrive to Toronto before we could begin the long journey we had planned from Toronto, to Ottawa then on through to Nova Scotia and on a cruise boat (even though it's considered a ferry) over on to the Rock, Newfoundland.

This just might well be a extensive blog that will take me a while to put together and hopefully, it won't become so repetitive after a while for you as it will host a whirlwind of photos and explanations. So without further wait... let's begin.



After being in the land of snow and ice for 8 months, I was in desperate need for a familiar sight in my good old home base, Toronto. Particularly, the Beach downtown as it is called. The first picture is the Boardwalk.




After spending some much needed time at the Beach by myself and taking in what I have been missing for so long, I decided to get back to the car to get it in road trip shape before Melissa came home. The Saturn.



Melissa and I, once she got back, decided we needed to visit our secret spot we have. I can only say it is in Ontario somewhere. By the lake, and very peaceful. We used to go there a lot to talk, and spend time with each other discussing our future together. This is the picture you see below as looking out from our car window. It was raining that day we went by. So we never really got out.



Melissa and I have come to learn the word 'compromise' well. In doing so, we were able to make a deal with each other seeing as how I wanted to spend like there was no tomorrow on a hotel, and she did not. The deal was, her hotel (which was just a college dorm turned hotel in the summer for $50 a night) we would book a room for the first week in. The second week was a shorter stay which was in the Delta Chelsey. For a total of $600. Not including food we ordered.






As nice as the room was, the food was just as you would suspect from a 4 star hotel. Below, are a few of the dishes we had tasted, savored and paid for through the nose to enjoy.






After all that food, I needed to just relax on the balcony and enjoy my favorite beer, Steam Whistle made only in Toronto I might add, in the warm evening air. The picture shows the Toronto night life at it's best from a bird's eye view.




At some point we decided to go for a walk in downtown Toronto before we had to leave and head off to Montreal. I had decided what better way to enjoy Toronto than to head out for a few drinks. I finally had a chance to try my first Mojito! I was not disappointed.




Since meeting Melissa, I have come to learn her favorite animal in the world is the Penguin. I have racked my brain for a year trying to think how can I get her to finally see them up close and personal. I finally found it. But we had to get to Montreal. So......



All that driving made me tired and I seriously needed my daily dose of a double double large coffee with a shot of french vanilla. However, the sign was all in french, and I was lost on how to order it. Boo Montreal!



After that interesting episode and a lesson in french, we made our first major destination for Melissa to check off her list something she has always wanted to see, and it was inside the Biodome in Montreal.





I had planned for her to get to see some other interesting things first (although she was sure she knew why she was really there) the animals of the tropics were awesome to see.









This next set of photos doesn't do the actual fish tanks any justice for their size as they were immense in size. Can you spot the cod fish?









After spending nearly over an hour checking out the south tropical animals of the world, many of which weren't posted here, we reached our final destination. Melissa for the first time, got to see her beloved Penguins. And she was enthralled with them.









Ok so off we were through Quebec, which really, wasn't much to see but highway.




Our next stop was Ottawa. The capital of Canada.








I also actually met some very nice policemen who were kind enough to let me take a photo of them while in action on the job! I finally thought this was my chance to catch some very devoted lawmen in action, at their best.



Fast forwarding a wee bit, we finally got to Prince Edward Island.



And on to somewhere I hadn't been in over 20 years, home to Nova Scotia. Seeing this sign made me feel good.



Although it seems if I never really took enough pictures, we did, I just chose not to post everything here. But some just had to be shown.








My stop in Nova Scotia was for one purpose, to see family in Truro and boy it was great to see some faces I hadn't seen in many years. And although I am posting a lot of photos, these don't include many of my family unfortunately. However, I wanted to post a couple of my uncle's horses. He is a harness racer and has some great horses.






Passing through Truro was fun, we came to a great little motel by the name of Berry's Motel and let me tell ya, if your ever in Truro you need to get a room there. Clean, super friendly staff as it is a family owned business and only $75 a night! Wireless internet and just real down home like. I didn't get a photo of this place, I wish I had one for you. However, as we moved on and passed through Cape Brenton, we came upon the strangest thing I ever saw....



The next thing I would have stopped at if we weren't so tired trying to get to North Sydney to get on the ferry boat was Lick A Chick! Supposedly, this is an awesome place for chicken. I never been there. Even though I was so close, we drove right past it....cluck...cluck.



Finally it was on to North Sydney where the Sydney Mines are.




Finally, after a couple of days (our stay on the way back was much longer) we headed off to the ferry boat and on towards Melissa's home, Newfoundland. We boarded the ferry boat, parked our car, got our over night bags out and headed off down the narrow aisle of the ship to find our cabin. This was it.



After settling in, I had to go explore. Then I found the video game room and the most awesome racing ever. The kid beside me thought he was good until I sat down beside him and kicked his butt. Then......busted the game for both of us.....literally.






We made it to Newfoundland as we slept over night, at about 8am in the morning we got up, got in our car and waited for them to let us off. The air smelt great, salty and very home like. Melissa was a very happy girl, and I was excited for her. As it was, I needed a double double coffee from Timmy's.





The place I enjoyed most, was Quidi Vidi Brewery. Why? Because of the beer silly why else!! Check it out, because if my face doesn't say how I feel about beer, then I don't know what does.





Another place I wanted to see was the Geo Centre. A museum built right into the millions of years old rock. Very cool actually.






I really had to make a personal stop somewhere in Newfoundland to update the colour in my body art. So, I stopped in for a tattoo repair.






We did some sight seeing at other places. Like this beach like area that was really spectacular when looking at it from up high on the road.






Ok, we went to two weddings, you all know what happens there, and I really would have posted the photos, but there were so many to choose from so I decided to skip over it and get right to the end of this super long blog. My final shots from atop of Signal Hill over looking St. John's, NFLD at dusk. Enjoy.


2 comments:

Tammy said...

Loved your recount of your vacation. It is funny how we justify our vacations and how we go about them - most of our friends & family down south think we are crazy the way we do vacations. After living up north I truly think they are 100% justified. (Loved seeing the PEI sign..I miss my little Island)

Will Burton said...

Thanks Tammy. I been wanting to do a blog on our vacation as I mentioned for sometime and felt it was overdue. I tale it your from P.E.I judging by your comment. It seemed like a nice little place. How right you are when living up north we seriously look for a way to get out on a vacation. But hey, it's needed! Blog to ya soon!