Saturday, February 6, 2010

You Know You Been In The North Too Long When...

I was thinking the other day how I am slowly becoming very Northern. By that, I mean how I have become accustomed to the ways of the North, how life is and the way the Inuit do things. You adapt to them. They don't adapt to you. You pick up on the little things they do, you get used to oddities you normally would think is strange when your from the South. So this blog is dedicated to the North and the people who live here. Most importantly, it is dedicated to the Inuit. The ones who make the North what it is. Perhaps, you may be from the North and can relate to these. Feel free to send me any you think of that I can add with your permission. Enjoy.


-You know you been in the North too long when you fall asleep during the daytime and wake up in the dark.

-You know you been in the North too long when your phone rings and you answer the ulu.

-You know you been in the North too long when there is a knock at your door and instead of a Jehovah Witness, you get a carver trying to sell you something .

-You know you been in the North too long when somebody asks you a question and you scrunch your nose for no, or raise your eyebrows for yes without thinking about it.

-You know you been in the North too long when you see the RCMP pulling over a snow machine.

-You know you been in the North too long when you get excited over a pack of cigarettes that cost only $13.95.

-You know you been in the North too long when the biggest news in town is somebody caught a wild animal over the weekend.

-You know you been in the North too long when you really believe "Hey, -40 isn't so cold after all".

-You know you been in the North too long when you find yourself wearing seal skin boots, beaver mitts and a parka lined with wolf fur around the hood.

-You know you been in the North too long when the two Inuit beside you are having a conversation in their traditional language and you can understand them.

4 comments:

Matthew & Michele said...

I've been pulled over by the RCMP while on my snowmachine. No headlights. Got a warning but no fine.

Will Burton said...

Then you know where my blog is coming from lol.

Melodie said...

Wow! Hi, I'm a fan of the arctic...but am too much of a wuss to live there... Anyways, I'd love to have a pair of seal skin boots, beaver mitts and a coat with wolf fur around the hood!

Some of those things sound so cool. One day I'm going to at least go on an arctic expedition! I hope that's not too kitschy...

Enjoy the north, and enjoy -40 not being so cold after all:).

Will Burton said...

Melodie,
You could certainly make it in the North. You just have to make the move to make it here. You too can own seal skin boots, and fur lined parkas. Experience things only few get to experience. Your Arctic expedition sounds wonderful and I hope you do it! You could blog about it so that I have something to blog about. I am a city boy at heart who owned a pimped out sports car and only worried about his Adidas shoes and mixed CD's. Now I live amongst the Inuit and enjoy it immensely. Chat to you soon.

-Will