Thursday, November 19, 2009

Banking Woes

Ok, so a bit of negative news from out my way tonight, I quit my job with CIBC. Now, hold the phone, I know what your thinking, "What?!" Let me be clear, I can and did do the job. I was trained very sloppy, unprofessionally, and hastily in my 4 weeks of training. Two of which I was stuck in a room by myself in front of a computer with online courses and left to my own devices while the manager left for two weeks. Now I somehow managed to make the most out of this "Northern" conundrum by doing my 4 week training regardless. I also managed to go through a couple of test runs on till and came away doing well. The issue lies within management and how it is being ran. I will say no more other than I know for a fact how training should properly be done in order to be effective, but it never has happened in that bank with current management unfortunately. I was even offered to be Branch Manager in 6 months time. No thank you. I wish not to be thrown under the bus. So I have gone back on the sub list. Pays more, less stressful, most of all, I enjoy it. So what's the problem? Should I feel guilty, for having doing something that involves that dirty word, "quit"?

I do not believe so. I done nothing wrong so much as I have done something right. Now my timing may have seemed a little off to some, as I have a wedding to pay for in June. Fear not, subbing is abundant here, and have already scored 5 days worth of work thus far. Furthermore, I have also made myself an appointment to test for the Class 2 drivers license which will enable me to drive air brake trucks such as dump trucks, etc. I will also be going for Class 3 which would be for driving bigger trucks, more axles really, such as a firetruck.




Speaking of firetrucks; I have applied and have been hired as a volunteer Firefighter for the Fire Department of Rankin Inlet. I have been issued my bunker gear, radio and pager. I did my first training exercise last night at the station and it was very exciting. To boot, I have been asked to train for the ambulance driver in Rankin Inlet. I have also accepted this role. Tonight I went on my first ever ambulance call. I was picked up, we drove to the hospital and picked up someone from the Emergency room who was being Medivac out. We loaded the injured onto the stretcher and out to the awaiting ambulance and away we went to the airport. I find it difficult and exciting to have the radio on, and with me at all times just as the pager comes with me everywhere too. At night time I respond to a calls when I am required to.

This week has been a whirlwind of excitement, letdowns, failures and happy moments. The Burton Project has been just that, a project and continues to be an on going experiment with life in the North. Till next time everyone....

No comments: