Saturday, February 27, 2010

Last Call For Alcohol

The 2010 Olympic Gold medalists of womens Canadian hockey team.




We all blog about things like, life, money, experiences, disinterest for a certain thing or person, or exciting times. Sometimes we blog about subjects others may not agree with or possibly do agree with. Either way, blogging is simply an open journal with others having the ability to respond if they wish. My blog today might just be one of those types of blogs. Because what I want to discuss, the latest hottest topic is the women’s Olympic hockey team for Canada.

To start, they deserve a big congratulations in their win and the effort it took to get to the podium to accept those gold medals. This certainly can’t be an easy task in any sport to climb all the way to the top of the hill to make the cut for gold. Regardless, they did it. Kudos to them girls. Now, on to the break down of a unclassy celebratory win. They played their hearts out and used sweat, skills and determination. They celebrated on ice just seconds after the win thereafter congratulating team USA on a well fought game. This is sportsmanship at it’s finest is it not. To recognize the other team’s efforts and knowing how hard it was to make it to that final round to do battle is honourable. So far so good.

Now here is the issue I have as do others. Ok, we know there were no fans left in the stadium seats, most reporters were gone...MOST. All but the one(s) who caught the champagne, beer guzzling, zamboni drivin, cigar smoking frolics on ice, including 18-year-old superstar Marie-Philip Poulin. Exactly what is wrong with this? Well, if your all for it, then nothing. Until we break it down a little further. Team Canada in many sports is recognized as a professional team, like any others should be. I for one am 100% Canadian and show my Canadian pride probably more than anyone I know. I stand behind those Canadian Olympians and their efforts over there in Vancouver.

The problem is this: People are always going to be watching. And with watching comes scrutinizing. Did these girls forget they have little ones who look up to them who no doubt by now has seen these photos or the video footage of them getting on they way they did, smoking and drinking? What example does this set for the children who wish to be the next women’s Olympic goaltender or the women’s next Olympic forward? It says that after winning you can showboat, rub it in, drink and enjoy a big fat stogie.

Had they done all this behind closed doors, with no cameras, no video footage, no one would be none the wiser today and the girls would still be happy, as they are now I am sure, and the media and public wouldn’t care. We didn’t see it. This was professionally unacceptable. I would not want to see my daughter getting on like that after winning on camera unless it was in the comforts of her home, my home, her friend’s home. Behind closed doors at least.

It is so bad that the IOC is launching an investigation into their on ice antics. Hey, you’re smoking in a non smoking facility. Way to go, fines all around right there. They are Olympic athletes, put your Canadian pride aside for a moment and understand the problem with they way they behaved for a moment. It was immature of them to think they could get away with partying it up on ice, still in their Olympic gear.

If you have yet to see some of the above mentionable's, take a gander below.









2 comments:

Melodie said...

The last picture looks so fun! I think it's cute to see them being silly and having fun. They worked hard, and they ended up succeeding.

I'm not sure if I can blame them...damn, would have been so fun to party with them, lol.

I also kind of think it was one of those things where they were just so excited and didn't think about reporters and media...And I don't think they were showboating, because they did give their respect to the American team. They were in such rapture to win on home ice, that I'm sure they just 'gave into' their excitement.

Obviously they've never done this in other Olympic venues...when they won in Salt Lake City...they didn't party on American soil, but this was like "I'm at home, and comfortable".

Sorry, I can't agree with you, and sorry, my argument is not the most 'sound'. I just know that I don't think they ruined any little girl's dreams or anything. It just means that in life when you win something this big and in the appropriate time (ie: home soil), well of course you're going to party. And maybe the issue of looking like a bad role model just gets into the whole issue in how kids nowadays are WAY too coddled...*won't even go there*.

But now I feel bad for the girls...cause they have to deal with this crap. They have to get punished for 'having a good time'.

Will Burton said...

Your opinion is duly noted and a valid one in the sense that this is which you believe and I certainly respect it. This is why I have posted it. I feel strongly that not everyone will agree with one person, which is why the expression is: you can't please everybody all the time. I agree with you it would have been fun to party with them. There is however a time and place for it.

And you certainly don't need to apologize for not agreeing with me lol. Your entitled to your opinion as much as I or the next person is without being ridiculed for it such as on some blogs postings I have read today. I'm glad you posted, and glad to read my blog as always Melodie!