Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Lost In Thought

Hello.

I blogged here nearly a week ago. Since then, I've had no motivation to blog since. After reading fellow blogger Townie Bastard's blog I was reminded how any one of us can go through 'writer's block'. Though I am not truly a writer per say. I still get blocked like anyone else. Since reading his blog, I somewhat got motivated to blog. I have no subject particularly for you. Just sort of winging it today. I really don't want to touch on this issue of, what is an Olympic sport and what isn't, but how do we, the little people know what is or what won't ever be a sport period? Did anyone really think snowboarding on a half pipe would become an Olympic sport? I suppose really anybody can pick on and bully around any sport in the Olympics.

At the end of the day both you and I know there is no way we can ever do what we see those of the Olympics do in their sport. I can never put on long skies and slide down a hill only to jump off the end of it and land in the calculation point area, known as the K point. It is between 300 and 390 feet. 60 points to those who land exactly on the K line. So I'm not fairing well in this sport on my first, second or third try. Most likely, not in my first 6 months.

Men's figure skating. "Oh, it looks gay, men in tights, blah, blah, blah". Yea, it does look a little gay. Men in tights prancing around on the tippy toes of their skates lifting off doing triple and quad's. But can you do it any better? I can't even skate let alone get enough speed to hurl my body in the air to spin around 4 times, land, then launch myself into the air once more for another jump. If this type of routine skating is hard, and only few can do it, maybe it should be in the Olympics.

Now did Heracles, son of Zeus, go bobsledding down an icy hill at speeds to which he had never seen before? No. But is it a sport? It must be, it's in the Olympics isn't it? Ok, so we don't run naked anymore, but we still run in the Olympics. Why do we not question running? Who can't run right?

My firm belief is if it is as hard as it looks to do from the comfort of your home, it probably should be in the Olympics. I used to think curling was ridiculous. Then I tried it.

Ping Pong anyone?

No comments: