Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Brew Master & Late Nights

I have been exploring the wonderful world of brewing your own beer at home. The comforts of home. What better way to spend the holidays while awaiting for your favorite beverage to transpire right in the confines of your own home. Never having done this before, I have been extremely excited about the process. The process for the particular set up I have has been a hands off style. Not having to go through more than three steps makes it simple and so easy, 'Even a Caveman can do it'. Haha, I had to get that in there. Seriously, a caveman could do it. A self contained unit, your package of beer mix in powder form, yeast and water. There is your basic ingredients for what can yield you up to 28 beers in one shot in under two weeks.

I have enjoyed the beer thus far, I like that I can experiment with different tastes and colours of the beer. Alcohol content varies on the selection. The darker the beer colour, the higher the alcohol content apparently. That being said, I enjoy the lighter side of the mixes. The fermenting process is awesome, as you can literally see the beer create it's own natural carbonation from the natural fermentation process. In the fridge the beer will slowly loose it's haziness and become clear and bubbly and with a few shots from your CO2 cartridges, you can get that nice frothy head on a beer and keep your beer in the self containment unit fresh tasting with every pour!





On another short note life after CIBC has come and gone in my eyes. Now working the grave yard shift between the two local hotels here in town, The Siniktarvik Hotel which boasts 50 rooms (could be more) and The Turaarvik Inn which sees about 22 rooms, the management is worried about break in's. Lack of people in around the holidays working and staying at the hotels leaves it vulnerable. So for the next couple of weeks, I will be helping out these two hotels by doing late night security checks. Last night was my first on duty. It was lonely, but interesting somehow.

Lastly, Merry Christmas and have a very Happy New Year!

No comments: