Friday, January 22, 2010

A Great Loss

Tonight as I blog, I blog with a heavy heart. My grandmother on my step mother's side has passed away, she was in a car accident earlier tonight. Although I have just seen her this past summer during my trip with my fiancee through Ottawa, where my grandmother, or Nan as I call her, was visiting up from Newfoundland to see her daughter (my step mother) I must say, cancer or not, she looked great. A battle she has been fighting for over 40 years.

I received the call tonight while I was at work, in training. It hit me hard, and I am deeply saddened not so much for myself, but for Juanita, my step mother. Her sister and her brothers and the rest of the family. You see, if you know Newfoundlander's at all, it is the are a very tight knit type of people when it comes to family. I would appreciate if you took the time to read this far into my blog, if you could go a little further and view the photos below of my Nan who never asked for anything from anybody. Was tougher than most people I know, and would do anything for you. The way you would know a grandmother would be.




My two younger brothers, Adam on the right in the white shirt, and Brendan, our youngest brother on the left in the black shirt and Nan in the middle on her summer visit in 2009.



My Nan & I during the summer of 2009 in Ottawa at Juanita's home.




Nan, her daughter Juanita (my step mother) & I.



I love you Nan Olive Dicks. R.I.P

6 comments:

Clare said...

Sorry to hear of you and your family's loss Will.

Megan said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

Will Burton said...

Thank you Clare & Megan, I appreciate the caring words of support.

The Reid Family said...

I'm sorry for your loss. It is a difficult thing. I lost my mother three years ago. Our prayers are with you and your family. I know that you will be able to see your grandmother again some day. She will be waiting for you on the other side. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

*hugs*
Becca and Chris

Sarah said...

Sorry to hear of your loss.... My thoughts are with you and your family in this time--- especially with you so far away from home..

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your loss Will... You have posted such great wonderful pictures of your Nan, what a beautiful smile!